Inrange®’s mission, simply, is to make golf a game for Everyone.
Founded by a group of highly respected South African engineers who used their expertise in the world of radar and radio telescopes to develop the most advanced, accurate and reliable golf tracking system in the world.
Our software leverages the latest in radar technology. It provides real-time feedback and actionable live shot data so you can practice with intention, track your performance and improve with every session through an engaging, technology-driven experience. Practice and play with a purpose on your choice of driving range layouts and skill challenging games. Play courses, games, head-to-head matches, and more, online against anyone in the world.
We are part of a larger family of companies within the Alphawave group, based in Technopark, Stellenbosch and London, UK.
Work with a remote team building a gamified virtual and simulation solution that helps golfers improve with every shot and turns driving ranges into entertainment centres for golfers and non-golfers alike.
We are looking for a senior back end developer to join the Inrange product team.
You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment as well as interaction with the hardware development teams.
As a senior back end developer you should be well versed in the building and operation of cloud based production systems utilising a microservice based infrastructure and have a preference for leading and empowering others while being very involved in day to day software development.
This role is a fast developing one in a fast moving startup so you will have the opportunity and responsibility to contribute to the development of software which is already enjoyed by thousands of people every day across 5 continents.
Back end development
- Full stack back end development (services to data reporting)
- Scope and write reusable and testable code
- Unit and acceptance test coverage
- Responsible for back end code architecture and design
System scaling and production management
- Cloud infrastructure resource optimisation and management
- Service development and optimisation
- Extension and optimisation of data sources and outputs for analytics
- Work within an agile development team process and structure
- Coaching and development of junior team members
- Recruitment and onboarding of junior developers
Key Contribution Areas
- System responsiveness
- Player facing feature development
- Data optimisation
- Code review and collaboration
- Architecture contribution
- High quality code
- Release quality
- Issue management
- Coaching and development
- Recruitment support
We are looking for candidates that have experience in the following:
- Design and development of production systems
- Docker and serverless stack
- Design and implementation principles and technologies for public cloud, AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Database design and build
- Data engineering focused on user engagement (preferably in a gaming or sporting environment)
- Microservice design and development
- An understanding of design patterns and OO
- Experience with containerized application development (Docker)
It will be nice if you also know:
- How to work with containerization-related technologies like Kubernetes, Apache Mesos, AWS ECS, or AWS ECR
- How to create or work in a distributed architecture using MicroServices and platforms like Eureka, AWS Kinesis, AWS Lambda, Kafka, and others
- Unstructured data storage (Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, Hadoop, DocumentDB)
- How to set up and maintain a CI environment to enable continuous delivery
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience
- Relevant technical qualification. Hons. or higher is preferable. Good academic performance
- Preference for agile software development
- Gaming / competitive sports
- Understanding and preference for a high uptime, high customer reliance operating environment
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work well in a team as well as individually
- Attention to detail, and able to think creatively outside the box
- Able to accurately plan and prioritise work
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
Being part of the Team
- Focus on your development, on the job coaching and mentoring
- Opportunities for technical and non technical training
- Being part of a global business with presence in the US and the UK and sites on just about every continent
- The option and ability to work either remotely or in our lovely offices in Stellenbosch (or a mix of the two should you so choose)
- Part of the greater Alphawave Group, a 340 person strong technology group which has grown up in Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Getting out on to the range to enjoy what we have built (it's not just for golfers, if our devs don’t enjoy it then we haven’t succeeded in our mission)
- Working with arguably the best technical minds in the country (our radar team built technology for the SKA deep space antenna)
- Permanent role with a competitive package
Once we receive your application, we will strive to review it within a few days. If you meet the minimum requirements, we may contact you to set up a first interview.